Well, top of my list would be this one:
“If you could have your goal now, would you take it?”
If they don’t answer yes pretty quickly and convincingly, then it’s time to ask some questions and dig a little deeper…
Still not 100% convinced that they want their goal? Try this series of questions below (NB. the questions are easier asked than described!):
- What concerns do you have? What’s holding you back?
- What would you rather have instead of [insert concern/s mentioned in question 1 here]?
- If you could have the outcome you want AND [insert answer/s to question 2 here], would you take it?
- Then keep cycling around these questions until you get a definite “Yes”
These questions 1) essentially ask what is getting in the way, then 2) what they would like instead of those concerns. Then finally asking, 3) if you could have your goal AND your concerns are dealt with, would you want your goal now?
Of course the questions are hypothetical, but it gets you to the core of whether they want the goal and it’s just some obstacles/fears getting in the way – or whether they just don’t want the goal!
If you liked this article about Goal Motivation / Goal Ecology you may also like:
- Our *Free* Goal-Setting Tool: “Understanding The Why of Your Goals”
- When a Client Consistently Fails to Complete their Actions (it’s Ecological) and What to Say!
Find this helpful? Why not use the “Share This” buttons below
and share with your friends and colleagues!