By using a softener, you're subconsciously preparing them for a potentially difficult shift in the conversation's energy. Using softeners is therefore a great way to maintain rapport with your clients while asking the challenging questions that are going to move them forwards.
Here are 7 softeners to get you started:
- I’m curious… (keeping it open and light)
- Just for a moment… (you won't have to do this for long)
- Let’s suppose… (let's play here)
- I was wondering… (keeping it open and light)
- Help me out here… (you'll be doing me a favour)
- Would it be OK to play with this? (asking their permission)
- Let me ask you this… (asking their permission more forcefully)
If you liked this, you may also like:
Find this helpful? Why not use the "Share This" button below
and share with your friends and colleagues!