While on a walk in the woods this morning, I saw winter’s accumulated garbage and litter everywhere. It looks strangely depressing next to the beautiful purple and orange crocuses and yellow narcissi. Everywhere I look, things are budding and coming into leaf – and the garbage glares accusingly at me.
Garbage and clutter: They’re almost the same thing. In fact, did you know that the word “clutter” is derived from a 15th Century English word – clotter – a variant of clot? The word clot has described collections of dead bodies, cats (presumably stray ones), narrow, crooked, dark and dirty lanes and spiders.
Clutter is mentally toxic. And has a habit of expanding. For some of us, what starts off as a harmless pile of papers or stuff can grow so that our physical environments become toxic and draining. Physical clutter can become part of a vicious cycle not only impacting the beauty and comfort of our environment, but also impacting how we feel – sucking precious energy as we feel stuck, guilty, disorganized, embarrassed or incompetent. Think about how good you feel when you clear out those dead plants, the outdated timetables and “useful” notes from the fridge or your office walls, when you clear out your wardrobe, or put your filing away…
And while clutter is often thought of as physical, things you can see and touch, clutter can also be mental: unresolved conflict, decisions not made, actions not taken, a lack of clarity and ruminating around our goals. A cluttered mind is often physically represented in our lives – but not always…
Spring* is the perfect time to review progress with clients, refocus and get a fresh outlook. As our longer days return and we have more sunshine, it’s a great time to get re-energised. If your clients have set annual goals, where are they flagging? Where would some inspiration and clarity freshen up their motivation?
* If you’re in the Southern hemisphere – and instead heading into Autumn, the focus can still be on getting clarity by wrapping up one season and clearing the decks. Just amend the wording of the questions slightly.
(And if you or your clients haven’t set annual goals yet, it’s still a great time to set those goals). NOW is a great time to get rid of your clutter and garbage. NOW is the time to have a “Spring Clean” and start with a fresh slate.
So, here are 10 Spring Themed Questions to Freshen up Your Life:
- Ponder for a few moments – or perhaps journal around: What would a Spring Clean of your LIFE look like for you?
- What are your cobwebs that need sweeping away so that you can appreciate the beauty of your life?
- What are you procrastinating over? Where do you need to “freshen up” your attitude?
- What needs physically Spring Cleaning in your life? (eg. your office, filing, wardrobe, hairstyle, kitchen, garden)
- What’s cluttering your mind? What needs mentally Spring Cleaning in your life? (eg. your marketing or business plan, your finances/taxes, your goals, relationships)
- What is zapping your energy? (eg. unresolved conflicts, unmade decisions, fears/worries, a lack of clarity)
- In what areas of your life do you need to take a breath of fresh air?
- What do you need to let go of and clear up so that you can spring forward?
- WHO do you need to let go of? Who is draining you?
- In your life, what glares accusingly at you? (however big or small, if something glares at you it’s time to do something about it!)
Enjoy these questions and help yourself and your clients become aware of, and let go of the clutter and baggage you’re carrying around – and move forward with renewed clarity and purpose.
“Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” Albert Einstein
If you liked this article about clutter and “Spring Cleaning” you may also like:
- Create a Spring Clean Your Life! Coaching Program or Workshop with our Seasonal Toolkit
- One of our FREE Coaching Tools: Your mini “Spring Clean” Goal-Setting Sheet!
- The 15 Coaching Questions You Need to Create Your Best Year Ever!
Like this post? Click LIKE or Share below!